Thursday 15 March 2012

The urchin; bic pen challenge


In the first week of university we were given a brief, a challenging brief. We had to create an entirely new product that would be made using a surplus of 1 million bic plastic pen cases. I created this light, named the Urchin due to it's shape. I do not advice anyone to sit for 8 hours gluing 352 pen cases together, it's tiring and painful, but the end result was far greater than I expected. The hollow centre was filled with battery powered LED lights, which when turned on, really highlighted the success of this project!

The urchin now sits happily on my desk, and every now and then I turn it on just to remind myself how lovely it looks when lit up. I've had many people tell me they'd love to own one, but with time, and the impracticality of attempting to post one of these isn't something I want to tackle just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment